Preparing for Practioner Training
WHAT TO BRING
Required and suggested items to bring to your training.
Required Items to Bring
- Hammock with integrated mosquito net
- Sleeping bag or blanket
- Lamp / Flashlight (with spare batteries)
- Capable power block or solar charger for your camera/phone (you *will* have access to power in the village, but sometimes it can prove unreliable)
- Chemical mosquito repellant (natural products do not work well) – check TSA for banned list. The best repellants we’ve found are here: https://sawyer.com/products/?
- Raincoat or poncho
- Rubber knee high boots (can be purchased in Iquitos for around $8)
- Waterproof backpack for all your gear (please no suitcases)
- Pocket knife
- Personal hygiene products such as toothpaste and soap. Bring environmentally friendly products, as you will be bathing in the river
- Airy and comfortable clothing
- Long sleeves and long pants or skirts for the evening. Jeans can be a little warm and bulky.
- Long, lightweight, breathable hiking pants for walks in the forest
- Warm clothes for the night (expect 15 degrees / 59 Fahrenheit)
- Sandals or flipflops
- Hat for sun protection
- Alarm clock/watch for getting up and getting to activities on time
- Medicated cream for itch/bites eg. Hydrocortisone Cream
- Natural personal hygiene products such as Dr. Bronners which are easy on the environment
- Voice recorder or notebook with spare pens
- A fanny pack for your valuables
- Ziplock bags to keep things dry
Suggested Items to Bring
The tribes, although rich in tradition and in natural resources are not wealthy in the material sense. There are many families in the village that would benefit greatly from our collective charity. The best way to support them is to bring good quality used clothing. The clothing can be for Men, Women, and Children. It can also be for all seasons. We suggest you start asking friends and family for donations and consider planning for an extra suitcase – this charity work will go a long way to helping those in need within the community. Items such as flashlights, pocket knives, headlamps are also very much appreciated by them. Please also consider gifts for the children such as soccer balls, coloring books, etc.
Please do not apply or attend this course if any of the following are true:
- You are undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- You have Addison’s disease
- You suffer from epilepsy
- You are recently recovering from a major surgical procedure
- You are pregnant or suspect that you might be
- You are breastfeeding babies under the age of 6 months old
- You will work with Bufo Alvarius (toad medicine) or iboga 8 weeks or less from the beginning of the course
- You have a serious heart problem (eg. Implanted cardioverter defibrillators, bypass surgery, valve replacement surgery)
- You have experienced a stroke
- you have hypertension
- You are taking heavy pharmaceuticals, such as medication for low blood pressure
- You have had an organ transplant
- You have had a brain hemorrhage
- You experience aneurysms and/or blood clots
DATES & REQUIREMENTS
Space is always limited, so you must pre-register and pay the online deposit to reserve your spot. In order to attend the Practitioner course, you must have personally received Kambo a minimum of 5 times through self administration or from another person.
Getting vaccinations is up to you. Many who attend our trips and retreats choose not to get vaccinated, however there is always a risk for malaria or yellow fever. Such illnesses can generally be handled if/when a person gets sick, rather than putting the body through the vaccination process. We will be working with many indigenous purgative medicines that the tribes use for combating these illnesses.
Make sure your passport is current throughout your entire stay in the Amazon. We’ve had attendees arrive at the airport, and realize only then that their passport expires during their trip, and for that reason were unable to attend.
A non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your place on all Academy training trips. If you are unable to go on the trip, we will give you a credit for one year to attend another training or retreat of ours. If you are still unable to go, the money will be donated to the tribes.
Get in touch
Call: (323) 790-2236
Connect with us: